[WSIS CS-Plenary] Preperation for Tunis...

Robert Guerra rguerra at cpsr.org
Thu Apr 15 15:20:28 BST 2004

Given the # of reports about press freedoms and human rights  issues
in Tunisia - I would assume we'd want to get a copy of the host
country agreement between the UN and Tunisia to see what type of
protection and immunity is given to delegates of the PrepCom.

As has been raised before - Tunis, and Tunisia isn't as liberal, free
and respectful of rights as is Switzerland - as such, we should air
on the side of caution. I would not want any colleagues to get
arrested, or worse - imprisoned for activities which are acceptable
and perfectly legal in their home country

I thus propose a couple of things:

(1) In collaboration with the C&T group, draft a petition - to ask
the UN, ITU & Tunisian government for a copy of the Host country
agreement for this and any future prepcoms.

(2) As part of the petition we insist that censorship at the
conference site (as occurred at the march informal meeting) is
inconsistent and incompatible with CS participation

For those of you who did'nt read the earlier reports - Both the Human
Rights watch and Amnesty International sites where blocked at the
Informal Meeting internet cafe setup for all delegates. How do we
know if our own NGO sites are blocked too...this completely
unacceptable!

- http://www.hrw.org
- http://www.amnesty.org

(3) For as much as we "hear"  there's a Tunisian CS/NGO coordination
group - can we please find out more about them. Who are they? Are
they really CS or just appointees by the Tunisian government ?

CS groups in Tunisia that i know - aren't getting any information
about how to participate in the process. So i'm frankly worried that
all the talk about "inclusion" in Tunisia isn't in fact correct...

(4) The Tunisian prepcom will be TWO days - that's awful short and
makes it very expensive for those coming from abroad to justify the
trip.

Are there any plans, or should there be any plans  to organize an
event around the prepcom to prepare ourselves and interact with
independent CS in Tunisia. No doubt an information gathering event -
where we'd learn more about the reality of the country and find ways
to construct dialogue and partnerships with all sectors of the
society there.

but again - we need to know in precise terms from the Tunsian
authorities what are the limits they are imposing on us. Can we get
written confirmation that host country immunity applies to us? if
not, we need to - we must - be careful in who we meet and what we do
when we are in the country.

A case in point - though I was an invited official participant of the
march informal meeting, i had to wait over TWO hours at the airport
to get my passport returned.  is this "expedited" treatment? if so,
there sure will be long line-ups for the prepcoms and the summit in
2005.

regards

Robert

--