[WSIS CS-Plenary] Call for Papers (deadline extended) -- International Colloquium on Communication and Democracy

Emem Okon emem_o at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 16 19:42:36 BST 2004

Hi Bill,
I am a Nigerian and I want to send in my abstract as
required. Just want to find out, will I be offered
travel grant to cover flights from Nigeria and
accommodation and feeding during the conference? I
really want to participate in this conference.

Emem J. Okon
Niger Delta Women for Justice

--- "Bill McIver, University at Albany"
<mciver at albany.edu> wrote:

> Please be advised that the deadline for submitting
> abstracts to the
> Communication & Democracy: Technology & Citizen
> Engagement colloquium
> has been extended from April 1 to April 19.
>
> The revised Call for Papers is attached, and it
> would be greatly
> appreciated if you would re-circulate it widely.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Mary C. Milliken, BA, MA
>
> Research Assistant
>
> e-Government/e-Citizen
>
> NRC IIT - CNRC ITI
> 46 Dineen Drive/ 46 Promenade Dineen
> Fredericton, NB
> Canada
> E3B 9W4
> Tel: 506-444-0378
>
> Fax: 506-444-6114
>

> Call for Papers
>
> International Colloquium
> Communication and Democracy: Technology and Citizen
> Engagement
> Wednesday, August 4 – Friday, August 6, 2004
> Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
>
> Host: University of New Brunswick, Department of
> Sociology
>
> Sponsor: University of New Brunswick, Office of
> Research Services
> School of Communications and Multimedia, Edith Cowan
> University,
> Perth, Australia
>
> Partner: National Research Council Institute for
> Information Technology
> e-Business, Canada
>
> Since the early 1990s, governments, industry and
> commercial
> organizations, public agencies, non-governmental
> organizations,
> communities and individual citizens have embraced
> the Internet and other
> information and communication technologies (ICT),
> expending extensive
> resources on their deployment and adoption.
>
> Along this digital journey, on one end of a
> continuum, claims have been
> made about the revolutionary and emancipatory
> potential of ICT.
> Promoters exhort the urgency of its adoption to
> realize citizen
> empowerment, institutional transformation and
> transparency, direct
> democracy, and the erasure of time and space to
> create an electronic
> global village.
>
> At the other end of this continuum of debate,
> critics argue that the
> potential benefits of ICT are being outweighed by a
> growing digital
> impotence for citizens, who are increasingly bound
> by new forms of
> regulation, institutional electronic rigidities,
> market regulation, the
> extension of commercial practices deeper into social
> life, and technical
> design myopic of human needs.
>
> The broad themes of citizen engagement, democratic
> inclusion, and
> socio-economic betterment for citizens, communities
> and nations have
> [...]
=== message truncated ===