[WSIS CS-Plenary] ICTs for productivity. McKinsey article: The power of productivity

Amali De Silva amalidesilva at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 20 18:49:35 BST 2004

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this Jean-Louis.

We are dealing with a world where the private sector has the money and the resources to support our CS missions and government takes them more seriously than perhaps CS, at times.

CS must not walk around with rose coloured glasses and barefeet thinking that if they open their palms to the sky / private sector / govt gold coins will simply fall in to their hands.

CS had to think strategy.

Each country wants to improve it's standard of living. Simply flushing large sums of money in to programs is of no use if they do not:

1) Meet the goals of the program

2) Are efficient, well managed

Productivity is key - what can a CS organization do with the little money they receive is an important question.

It will determine:

1) if they get further funding

2) if they can go beyond what was initially envisaged by the project goals to reach more persons at the local level.

In the West we talk so much about efficient management ( cs program in this case ) practices - why are you so resistant to sharing thoughts about effeciency / productivity with all ?

In democracies typically there are many avenues of economic and political thought. Not just one way is necessary the best way - we should not be blinkered.

Why are we in a conference that talks about ICTs - it is about money and who controls the systems. It's about getting the world to a better economic / humanitarian place, amongst other thoughts.

CS will not get money if the private sector does not get value ( recognition ) for it's money. Big buisness wants to be seen as being socially responsible and even though you may not like it,  big business ( who has the money ) listen to the people who write these books and articles.

Big business / govt counts it's pennies very carefully and will give to those who are the most productive ! Better to give org x that reaches 1000 persons through a computer it donates than simply reaching 5 persons ! And isn't that what CS wants too - to reach as many perosns ?

Increasing productivity ( human, capital use of limited resources etc ) will mean that the world will reach a better place for all ( win-win)

Amali De Silva - Mitchell
( responding in a personal capacity )

Fullsack Jean-Louis <jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
In french below

Hi Amali

I wonder if this "information" deserves to be disseminated at the CS plenary. In my opinion it is NOT an information but an advertising of some ultra-liberal economists. And most of us -at least those committed in action in the field- are fed up with this "unique thought" ! So please, leave it to the "Chicago boys" and remember their success story : Argentina ! (among other countries, especially in Africa).
By the way, I'd just remind you and all contemplators of the "unique thought" that the CS "unanimously condemned the leading role given to the market" in our alternative Declaration.

Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT-France

Salut Amali

Je me demande si cette "information" mérite d'etre distribuee à la Pleniere de la SC. A mon avis ce n'est PAS de l'information mais de la publicite de quelques economistes ultra-liberaux. Et la majorite d'entre nous -du moins ce qui sont engages dans l'action sur le terrain- en ont marre de cette "pensee unique" ! Laisse la donc aux "Chicago boys" et souviens toi de leur succes : l'Argentine ! (parmi d'autres pays, en particulier en Afrique).
Par la meme occasion, je voudrais simplement te rappeler ainsi qu'a tous les contemplateurs de la "pensee unique" que la SC a "condamne unanimement le role de guide confere au marche" dans notre Declaration alternative.

Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT-France