[WSIS CS-Plenary] ACT 2004 WORKSHOP OUTLINES

Nabil El-Khodari webmaster at nilebasin.com
Tue Aug 10 17:14:56 BST 2004

ACT 2004 WORKSHOP OUTLINES

Workshop 1 : VSAT Implementation – Practical technical
training
Presented by the Global VSAT Forum

That there is an unmet requirement to bridge the
digital divide is long established. What is less
evident is that satellite is being cost-effectively
applied to address this challenge right now.

Following-on from the GVF Telecommunications Operators
Forum, which is to be held at ACT 2004 on 8 September,
this Training Workshop will provide a focused
opportunity to hear from key stakeholders as to
exactly how, when, where, and for whom satellite
systems – which are being increasingly employed in
conjunction with other communications technologies
such as fibre, mobile telephony and WiFi – are
delivering vital connectivity solutions for an
expanding user community.

The Workshop will bring together such key stakeholders
as the project finance community, NGOs, government
ministries and regulators, satellite system and
service providers, local telcos, local industry and
other representatives of the user community, to
explore real deployments….. really working.

Workshop 2 : Breaking into new markets through
International Alliances and Strategic Relationships

Presented by Sesh Sukhdeo, AITEC Consultant &
International Expert on International Growth
Strategies

WORKSHOP AGENDA

As many organizations review their business plans and
income strategies, many leaders are investing time and
efforts on identifying and developing higher level
relationships, are you?

This high level workshop will walk you through a range
of business concepts and best practices.

Workshop Leader Sesh Sukhdeo former International
Development Director for

the British Computer Society and an independent
consultant to organizations throughout the world
covering the Business Process Outsourcing sector and
International Trade

Alliance Building

Structuring an Alliance
Completing a business Gap analysis
Assessing Strategic Returns on Investment
The 6C's - Secrets of business linkage
Trust Builders and Breakers

Market Entry Strategy

Defining your goals and business proposition
Approaching new contacts
Creating International awareness
The importance of a solid marketing mix

Extraordinary Growth

Linking People to Business Goals
Understanding the motivations of your buyer
Breaking barriers down leading to greater commitment
Understanding how to ask for business and gain Trust
The power of referrals and professional networks

Who must attend:

Chief Executives
Directors
Senior Marketing Managers
Sales Executives
Management Consultants
Representatives of organizations wishing to become
global players

Participants will learn:

How to Build International Alliances
How to Develop International Market
Entry Strategy
How to encourage extraordinary growth

Workshop 3: Next Generation Enhanced Services - The
key to new revenue streams for operators

Presented by Glenayre

As networks progress toward saturation new exciting
and “sticky” services are needed to grow and retain
subscriber base.

This workshop will introduce new technology concepts
and stimulate thinking that will assist you, the
operator, to take advantage of the next generation
enhanced services platforms to grow your business

This Telco VAS workshop will benefit:

CEO’s, CTO’s and the marketing teams from the
Operators

Workshop Agenda:

Next Generation Platforms

> Operators are thinking about the move to next
generation platforms. This presentation will introduce
the advantages open systems platforms as the
foundation for next generation services.

Applications that make Money

> A look at new applications that are making money for
operators:

Application messaging
Multi-Media messaging and the matter of Content
IVR for Competitions and Promotions – a major revenue
generator
Missed Call notification

Workshop 4 : New generation software solutions to
improve telco efficiency
Presented by Microsoft

Turning the Vision Into Reality (OSS/BSS): This
session will discuss some of the technology
mega-trends reshaping your industry and how the
Microsoft .NET vision is set out to help you gain
unmatched competitive advantage in the value-added
services space.

Customer Contact Framework: To ensure customer loyalty
and reduced churn by showing you some interesting
changes that will drastically improve your customer
contact centre and offer huge cost savings

Messaging as a revenue generating opportunity: We will
show you how you can increase your ARPU and retain
customer loyalty - Showcase Hosted Exchange demos and
videos and how we can help you achieve hosting goals.

Workshop 5: Storage & Business Continuity

Presented by VERITAS Software
Philippe Nicolas, EMEA Senior Product Marketing
Manager

Evaluating the cost of a disaster : All your data, all
your applications do not have the same value, and each
downtime have a different business impact. The first
step in a business continuity plan is to evaluate
risks and associated costs in order to choose the
right solution, VERITAS Software with a strong
experience in helping customers creating disaster
recovery plans, will explain in this session the
basics to create your plan.

Basic data protection : Your backup have difficulties
to complete during the night but what about the time
needed for restore ? You will learn all the solutions
to protect against data lost and how to select the
best recovery methodology according your needs.

Local disaster protection : Protecting your data is
not enough in some cases you need to ensure continuity
for your applications. You will discover what is a
cluster and how to implement a clustering solution
will help you reducing planned and unplanned downtime

Site disaster protection : In case you want to protect
your complete site against failure you can in addition
to the backup /recovery methods replicate your data to
a secondary site, but what technology can you
implement if you don’t have high speed lines?

VERITAS Software leader in Data Protection and
Availability is uniquely qualified for providing
business continuity solutions while improving IT
efficiency and reducing costs.

Workshop 6: ICT Entrepreneurship: The art of making
things happen

Presented by Russell Southwood, Balancing Act

This workshop is a guide to being an ICT entrepreneur
aimed at those wanting to start a new business or
those wanting to expand in a new direction.

It will cover the following:

What does it mean to be an entrepreneur – drawing on
the experience of others.
Starting with a good idea – looking at where good ICT
ideas can found in Africa.
Planning a business idea – what questions need answers
in your business plan.
The skills needed to create a new business – an
overview of the skills you will need to find.
Finding finance and deciding when you need it – who
funds new businesses and what are they looking for in
return.
Strategic alliances and partnerships – making friends
and influencing people.
Information sources – A review of the range of sources
that will help you develop a new business.

Workshop 7 : Revenue transition strategies for VoIP

Presented by Vocaltec

Alon Roth, Director, Middle East & Africa

Where are phone services going?
Benefits of VoIP technologies
Technology architectures for immediate service
creation and revenue
Combining VoIP and wireless/satellite to bring rural
telecom services to rural and dense urban markets

VoIP is one of the most promising technologies to help
carriers evolve their phone services and grow revenue,
as well as aid the development of economies and
improve the quality of life of ordinary citizens in
both rural and densely populated areas in Africa.

Voice over IP equipment vendors have evolved their
technology platforms to meet the real-world business
needs of carriers and service providers. Packet
telephony/VoIP architectures enable service providers
to maintain their current revenue streams while
significantly increasing their new revenue potential
by enabling the rapid design and rollout of new
enhanced SIP-based services, such as Voice VPNs and IP
Centrex. Another attractive service offering is VoIP
broadband access that allows any service provider to
gain revenues from offering VoIP telephony services to
residentials or SOHO/SMEs with broadband access.
Broadband residential/SOHO voice is a growing market,
which offers a lot of opportunity.

Overall, the shift to NGN should be seamless to the
customer, except that eventually, customers will
benefit from price reductions and the rollout of new
and improved services. End-customers will experience
better quality phone services and cheaper costs.

VocalTec brings to this workshop the longest track
record in IP communications in international markets
with carrier customers such as Deutsche Telekom, China
Telecom PTAs, ISM - Telecom Italia Sparkle, Adesemi
Nigeria, and others. Additionally, it leads the
industry in international standards development and
compatibility testing, in working with local solutions
partners, and, finally with an outstanding reputation
for technical and product excellence.

This workshop will also examine cost-effective ways of
expanding telecommunications services in densely
populated urban areas, as well as in rural, isolated
areas, through an architecture based on satellite
(VSAT) stations, VoIP and potentially Wireless Local
Loop (WLL). Additionally, it will provide e real-life
lessons from applications of this solution in Nigeria
for dense urban areas.

Workshop 8: Best practice for network security
Presented by Sophos

Threat evolution and future projections
Malware containment
Incident management
Prevention vs cure
General systems best practice

Workshop 9: Call centre customer service and support
skills: Developing a robust and sustainable human
capital policy
Presented by Sesh Sukhdeo, AITEC Consultant &
International Expert on International Growth
Strategies
Understand the role and importance of:

Training needs analysis
Competency definitions
Challenges recruitment, selection and development
Employer or employee focused learning
Skills certification and developing a roadmap
Developing a just-in-time framework
Professional ethics
Continuing professional development
International Best practices
Value chain analysis

Workshop spaces are limited.

Full details of the main Summit conference programme
and delegate registration form are available on http://www.aitecafrica.com

=====
Nabil M. El-Khodari
Founder,
Nile Basin Society, Canada

http://nilebasin.com/
http://nile.ca/

"If the people will lead, the leaders will follow" D. Suzuki