[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] Criteria for candidates

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Aug 20 17:21:10 BST 2004

At 10:13 AM -0400 8/20/04, Milton Mueller wrote:
>  >>> Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wz-berlin.de> 08/18/04 06:30AM >>>
>>I am afraid, we havn't come up with a clean and solid procedure
>>yet to put together a list of candidates.
>
>The Noncommercial Users Constituency has instituted a process
>to come up with a list of civil society nominees to the WGIG. We
>waited for some time for this list/caucus to act on this, but now
>that it is clear that no action will be forthcoming we feel the need
>to do something.

The Internet governance caucus has been working towards a number of
statements regarding the Working Group on Internet Governance. We
hope to make a number of contributions to the WGIG open consultation
meeting in September. We are developing recommendations on the basic
structure and principles of the working group, its working
methodology, and hopefully scope, as well as names of civil society
participants. We have been trying to build towards discussion on how
to best submit names from WSIS civil society. All involved in the
discussion of speakers for the Summit last year will remember that
was a difficult process, we are trying to avoid those problems.

The caucus is slow, but then it's August!

Last week (08/13) Jeanette Hofmann and I wrote to the civil society
bureau to advise on the situation of the working group and  to seek
advice on procedural issues, particularly requesting assistance from
the CS families on how we can best go about recommending names
(Jeanette and I are the caucus' coordinators.)  The plenary and the
contact points of all the civil society working groups and caucuses
were informed about the WGIG and tasks civil society needed to
consider some time ago.

We will keep CS plenary updated on progress and hope to have the
first of the draft statements I mentioned ready soon.

The Noncommercial Users Constituency (NCUC) is a constituency of
ICANN's Generic Names Supporting Organization -- it is involved in
the development of policy for generic top level domain names.  It has
a small membership, but its policy representatives do a good job
within ICANN.  My organization has been a member since the
constituency was formed in 1999 and I encourage people interested in
this important part of ICANN to join <http://www.ncdnhc.org>. The
At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) <http://alac.icann.org/> Milton
also mentioned is how individuals can get involved in ICANN and also
needs civil society support.

Interested in WGIG: please join the caucus...

	<mailto:governance-request at lists.cpsr.org?subject=subscribe>

Many thanks,

Adam