[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [wsis-finance] Re: [WSIS-CT] CS organization and role

Nnenna nne75 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 13:53:47 GMT 2004

Dear all

I did attend the UNICT TF meeting in Berlin.  I had voiced the under-representation of the CS to this TF earlier on the plenary list.  Just a few lines here:

The question of constituency and legitimacy still haunts.  The TF members who belong to the CS were not co-opted (if that term is corrected) as reps fro the CS.  My understanding is that they were "asked" on their individual capacities.  Which means that they may not have the right to send the TF reports to the WSIS CS Plenary and send a feedback.  Is there an obligation to discretion?  Reserve? Secrecy?

One strong point that needs to be raised is not whether the CS should have input into the work of the TF, no.  That is not the question.  The question IS: What will be the CS reading and analysis of the TF report.  I guess the report itself will be ready by now.

The other point is that one concrete idea that I have for now is the proposal for "A Global ICT Alliance" as a new working mechanism.  If the idea is carried on from the report by the Pr as a proposal  to the SG ....

I think the CS must anticipate and prepare multiple positions even before the  Pr makes proposals to the SG.

Coming from Africa, this issue will be touched in the Africa Regional Prepcom www.wsisaccra2005.gov.gh at the beginning of February.  We hope that a concrete African position will be out.

The uphill  task, though, concerning this regional Prepcom is that ressources to ensure Maximum CS participation are still lacking. The best option would have been to get the most of the feeling from the grassroot, translate into a concrete proposal and positon and take it to Geneva for Prepcom II.  If we can achieve this,(that is, an African position that reflects CS engagement) it will booster an African position during PrepCom II as well as that of the Global CS.  Sort of win-win.  So, please consider this as an SOS to support two or three CS members to the Africa Regional Prepcom.

Sorry for being long

Nnenna