[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] A Framework Convention for the Internet?

John Mathiason mathiason at mac.com
Wed Dec 22 12:47:56 GMT 2004

Avri,

Let me jump in on this.  As international law has developed over the
last four centuries, conventions (which are multilateral treaties) have
to be agreed between States.  However, States could clearly agree
legally to provide for a Multi-Stakeholder approach.  (There are ample
precedents, including the provisions in the United Nations Charter for
participation of NGOs in the work of the Economic and Social Council).
  Such an agreement within the context of a convention  would make it
possible for States, some of whom are now challenging the legitimacy of
civil society and private sector actors, to recognize their legitimacy
and their specific roles as well as the need for their participation.
How that approach could best be reflected in a convention would need
considerable thought, but would be helped if the principle were to be
agreed.

Regards,

John

John R. Mathiason
Adjunct Professor of International Relations
Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
Syracuse University