[WSIS CS-Plenary] Veni's points

Nnenna nne75 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 19:56:30 GMT 2004

Veni,

You will live long!  That is the way Africans say it!

First point: The global community can not enforce civil rights. It can build coalitions within countries, organize awareness campaigns, but there are no simple rules how to do that.

I wish to add to that by saying that if the African Civil Society has come anywhere in the WSIS process, it has drawn strength and support from the global Civil Society!  That is what we hope to replicate at the regional level.  That a strong coalition of African CS will help give tonus to the National CS!  You may now understand my earlier points.

The Internet is a force majeure.

No, it  is not just a force majeure, it is a force primordiale!  It changes not just the things we have always been doing.  It changes the very nature and manner of doing things.  I may content myself in saying that onland living has gone online, but I know within me that it has not just gone online, it has gone cyber, speedy, and digital!

There are no common rules for running the Internet in every country

Mon ami, there are countries in Africa that do not have any national ICT plans!

How can a civil society activists in countries, where there's no such civil society be successful?

Aie aie aie!  What if  most of the NGOs there were just humanitarian?  Supporting hungry persons and giving out food and non-food items, sheltering the internally displaced persons ...?

What if most of the CS entities : women orgs, NGOs, hopitals, interest groups etc ... do not even have an internet connection?

And what if they are simply not aware of how to engage in such activism?

What if ..., What if... what if ...

Milton, the idea is a good one, but you understand that work needs to be done from my (African) side.  That is why we are asking all those questions!

Sorry for the snow, if you are not afraid of embargoes and war, you may come to Cote d'Ivoire.

Nnenna