Antw: Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Structure of WSIS Phase 2

Claudia Padovani claupad at libero.it
Thu Feb 12 07:10:38 GMT 2004

Further to the efforts in Canada, new Zealand and Australia,
also the Italian Civil Society Platform is organizing towards Tunis.
A debriefing was held in Rome, on February 5th, organized by Alisei, an
italian NGO.
Participants: members of the governmental task Force (Ministry for
technological Innovation), parliamentarians, business sector representative,
local authorities and the entire group of civil society who have been
involved in geneva. We also invited members from the EU caucus (Marianne
Seger) the Governance Caucus (Bill Drake and Vittorio bertola) and from
WSIS-online (bertrand) in order to strengthen connections within the civil
society structure and to make our discourse perceived as a common one.
Perspectives are positive, as we were assured that a Multistakehldor Table
will be set up, starting march, to prepare jointly for the second phase.
Structure and roles to be defined so inputs from other experiences could be
respectively useful. I think it is very important at this stage to have the
most complete info about official developments so that we can manage to
engage in a propositive way with the government
We were the ones to stress the need to connect with local authorities, who
are moving in directions for many aspects relevant to us. The dialogue has
been vague until now, but could (and should) be strenghtened

But there are a number of iniziatives that fall outside the WSIS official
process and take this second phase as an opportunity to develop further
initiatives. Among these: there is a publication that starting from WSIS
opens to a number of relevant issues for ICT and policies (forthcoming
mid-March); the website is being rearranged; meetings and events will allow
to connecte to the wider civil society in the country (third sector,
development NGos, media professionals) and we are planning an international
conference on Multistakeholder practices in Venice in october

A few points:
we should try to work through regional caucuses as much as possible: to
strengthen regional perspectives and positions and to be able to organize
joint initiatives
having a space for a calendar is OK, we could also think of a session with
national and regional stories/experiences ecc. to give ideas and biuld
alliances (maybe worldsummit03 already has something like this? Ralf?)
furthermore, I know there will be comments and reflection on WSIS coming out
in publications in the next months; but it would be useful to have something
available now. Why not another section in a website could host pieces and
articles that are already available or readable, so that we could have one
space where ti find materials (and even translate and distribute...)
we are still lacking any serious dialogue with the media, which has been the
great absent from geneva,. we should try to develop some ideas about this,
much in advance... maybe starting from the national level

so far for the moment
best wishes, ciao
claudia padovani