AW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Priority for WSIS Civil Soiciety

wolfgang at imv.au.dk wolfgang at imv.au.dk
Tue Jan 20 15:25:38 GMT 2004

Like it or not, we, civil society, should understand "civil society's
roles" in the Internet policy decision-making process was not recognized seriously. They gave some credits to Internet Governance caucus but not to WSIS civil society in general. If I remind you of WSIS recommendation, it invited again only governments to discuss following issues.
f) Governments are invited to:
i)facilitate the establishment of national and regional Internet Exchange
Centres;
ii)manage or supervise, as appropriate, their respective country code
top-level domain name (ccTLD);
iii)promote awareness of the Internet.

Dear YJ

I disagree with you evaluation. The points f.i. in 13 of the Action Plan are specific recommendaitons for governments. You have to read both the declaration and the action plan in all its parts and this signals a different story. The overriding text (where 13 f & i is included) is:
Article 48: "The internaitonal management of the internet should be multilateral, transparent and democratic with the full involvment of the governments, the private sector, civil society and internaitonal organisations".

Furthermore, Article 50 says, that the working group on IG  should be organized as "an open and inclusive process that ensures a mechanism for the full and active participation of governments, the private sector and civil society both from developed and developing countries".

I would welcome if you could contribute to the Caucus debate by writing a paper "What means "multilateral, transparent and democratic" in Global Internet Governance?". The paper soud be no longer than 4 - 6 pages. It could become a good platform for further discussions.

Best wishes

wolfgang

* What are the differences between
But Internet Governance caucus itself cannot make difference to ensure civil
society's voices in the Internet policy making process. WSIS Civil Society
should go along with it. The main challenge of Internet Governance debate
from now on until Tunisia WSIS is to build a consensus in the WSIS plenary
that civil society should equally participate in open, transparent, and
bottom-up decision-making process like our counterparts, governments and
private sector members.

This may generate more traffics in the plenary list as Bertrand is
concerned, we have to live with it until WSIS civil society is ready for
presenting our collective position to various platforms including ITU
proposed by Amali de Silva.

YJ