[WSIS CS-Plenary] Why WSIS-05 May Not Hold in Tunisia

djilali benamrane dbenamrane at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 17:28:07 GMT 2004

Thanks for this analysis and proposals.
We discussed this item during the Geneva WSIS phase
with some participants, especially from Civile Society
and also from Tunisian Civile Society pro and against
the Tunisian Government.
Our conviction is : we don't help Tunisian People in
proposing to replace Tinis by another African Capitale
or ever else to held the phase WSIS 2005. It is the
best manner to stop any discussion regarding the
necessary promotion of the Democracy and free
expression in Tunisia.
We must gather our efforts to help the Tunisian people
to win the battle of the Democracy. Imagine if it was
decided to located the Summit in Algiers, Rabat, or
Ouagadougou or Bamako or Jobourg... All the medis will
concentrate their thinking out off Tunisia.
And why haven't discuss on the pertinence of Geneva as
the first phase of WSIS ? It has been demonstrated
that even Geneva was not the best model of Democracy
and free expression during the Summit ! and at that
time Geneva was not member of the United nations
Organization (even if it is the case now).
Let's mobilize our enegy and our discussions in
identifying condition to facilitate the organization
of the Summit in Tunis and we have 2 years to bring
support to the Tunisian people in order to make him
benefit of the Summit. If at the end of the process
things are not acceptable we can propose a counter
Summit somewhere.
Let's work with the Tunisian civile society in Tunisia
and out Tunisia and in Africa and let's leave to them
the leadership in the final decision on what are the
condition for accepting the Summit in Tunisia... Let's
try to discuss in French from time to time and so we
shall avoid the domination of English as we faced it
in Geneva. And please let's have more modesty in our
proposals.
Best regards
Djilali
--- Ralf Bendrath <ralf.bendrath at sfb597.uni-bremen.de>

=====
Djilali Benamrane : dbenamrane at yahoo.com
Tél/Fax : (331) 01 45 39 77 02 Paris - France
Page web sur l'Afrique et la globalisation : http://www.multimania.com/djilalibenamrane/
Groupe de discussion: http://www.egroups.com/list/afriqueglobalization