[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: "the friends of the president" drafting group

Bertrand de LA CHAPELLE lachapelle at openwsis.org
Tue Jul 6 11:31:42 BST 2004

Dear Wolfgang,

This is certainly worth exploring.

Two comments,though :
- voting rights do not mean much when decisions are taken by
consensus; the key questions are : what guarantee that CS
amendments are going to be duly taken into account ? and
what happens if, in the end, there is no agreement on the
final declaration ?
- what are the respective benefits of drafting among
separated constituencies vs united consituencies in the
Tokyo regional conference model ? one could envisage a
general joint drafting and a final polishing and reviewing
by governments only.

These alternatives must be carefully evaluated.

Bertrand