On research 'representativeness' Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] LAUNCH of INTERNET GOVERNANCE PROJECT

mclauglm at po.muohio.edu mclauglm at po.muohio.edu
Wed Jul 21 15:18:26 BST 2004

Thank you, Michael, for stating the issue so
well. And may I add that the notion of
"representativeness" should always be
interrogated, certainly in our own research,
whether or not this work is labeled "scientific
research," and even if such queries appear to
have the effect of raining on someone else's
parade. I'm interested in--but, as a feminist
scholar and activist, not amazed at--the notion
that scientific research should be exempt from
being questioned as to its representativeness.
Meryem, what seems dangerous to me is the idea
that attempts to achieve representativeness in
research will result in nothing productive, just
"fake research." Of course it will always fall
short--all of us will always fall short in this
respect--but at least one can make every effort
to be as inclusive as possible (which doesn't
entirely rest on the question of whether funding
exists for the project).

My best wishes for the possibility that many
internet governance projects will spring up all
over the world, that all are as inclusive and
transnational as possible, that all secure
adequate funding, and that there is productive
dialogue among them despite differences.

Best,

Lisa