[WSIS CS-Plenary] Some thoughts on Internet Governance for Tunisia Prepcom

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Jun 2 12:53:05 BST 2004

Internet governance will presumably be a major focus
of the rest of the WSIS process. In order to facilitate
progress toward a CS position

Insofar as the Internet governance caucus can agree to do
anything, it was agreed that we should take the relevant section
of the Civil Soc Declaration as a starting point, and discuss how to
modify it. That is what I do in this post.

A summary of the CS Declaration's main points relevant to IG are:

 * Governments should not take over the ICANN function and should
not be exclusively responsible for IG

 * The special US oversight role over ICANN and the root zone file
(mistakenly identified as the "root servers") should end when "the
conditions for system stability and sound management can be
guaranteed"

 * There should be "public interest monitoring" and analysis of Internet
governance-related IOs such as ICANN, WIPO, OECD, WTO, etc.

 * A "multi-stakeholder observatory committee" should be established to
perform this monitoring and analysis

In terms of modifying this statement, I think a lot of work needs to be done. At the time it was written it probably did a good job of staking out basic CS attitudes toward some key Internet governance issues, both broad and narrow. The debate has progressed significantly since WSIS Phase 1, however, and in its current form the statement does not contribute much.

* At a minimum, we need to correct the error and properly identify
what ICANN does and what aspect of it is supervised by the U.S. Dept
of Commerce. The root servers are actually owned and operated by
independent organizations and have no contractual relationship either
with ICANN or the U.S. DoC. ICANN does, however, have some MoUs
with the USG and the U.S. Dept of Commerce does oversee the contents
of the root zone file.

* In addition, I personally would want to closely re-examine those
words about when USG oversight should end; the qualification about
"guaranteed" conditions for "system stability and sound management"
sounds a bit too restrictive for me. If a new statement is not to be
completely irrelevant, a firm position on this issue must be taken

* The "observatory committee" strikes me as an idea who time has
come and gone. Most of what it was supposed to do has been
superseded by the SG's Working Group. (Maybe we can claim that
our call was heeded? ;-) )

* A revised statement should take some position on how to deal
with multiple, overlapping internet governance regimes. See my
discussion of this in the Internet Governance Project's paper on
principles and norms http://dcc.syr.edu/miscarticles/IGP-UNICTTF.pdf

A more aggressive approach to revision could do any or all of the
following:

* Identify which of the multiple Intgov regimes are failing, or where
contradictions or loopholes exist

* Articulate specific critiques and supports of ICANN, e.g. oppose
the use of Internet resources as leverage for regulation and control,
and call for consistency of its governance mechanisms with the end
to end principle; approve ICANN's incorporation of direct CS input into
its processes, with perhaps some critique of its bowdlerized At-Large
mechanisms

* Articulate specific critiques of ITU and address the ITU-ICANN relationship

* Address in a more substantive way the relationship between
developed and developing countries in governance institutions.
The current language, which basically says that inclusiveness is
good, rather begs the question of what institutional reforms
would actually improve the situation.

* Take a position on IPR and specifically fair use standards

* Take a position on spam control

* Take a position on privacy specifically as it relates to Internet
governance and surveillance

--Milton Mueller
(with apologies for the monolingualism)