[WSIS CS-Plenary] Request for Comments : Government contributions for Hammamet

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 24 12:42:30 BST 2004

Bertrand,

This an excellent summary of the state-of-play of the various positions
of the governments.  I don't know how much we can develop a consensus
position among the various groups represented in the WSIS on these
organizational issues.  However I think we can all agree that whatever
meetings are approved by the Prepcom, whether Prepcoms, regional
meetings and thematic meetings, should have rules of procedure that
ensure minimum standards of transparency and participation.  That is:

*	Information about the holding of thematic and regional meetings
should be sent out widely to all stakeholders and other interested
parties with sufficient advance notice to ensure adequate time to
prepare for participation.

*	Rules of procedure of thematic and regional meetings should allow for
meaningful civil society participation, including the ability to
distribute documents and to make verbal interventions.

*	Accreditation to any thematic and regional meetings should be open to
all WSIS stakeholders, and ideally beyond to those who are not
accredited to the official process but have critical viewpoints and
expertise related to the meeting in question.

*	Mechanisms for online contributions and participation in thematic and
regional meetings should be made possible for those who are not able to
travel to the various venues.

Rik Panganiban

  Rik Panganiban             email: rikp at earthlink.net
  UN Reporting & Advocacy    tel: (+1) 917-710-5524
  Civil Society Organizer

** My new book on e-Democracy and the United Nations
can be downloaded at
http://rikomatic.objectis.net/work/edemocracyver0304c.pdf  **