[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] Next Internet Governance Caucus Meeting - Jun 25 10am

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Jun 25 12:27:22 BST 2004

Izumi:
It may be a bit late, but I would encourage you to take advantage
of the work the IG caucus already did several months ago.
In particular, there was some discussion of the "process"
the SG's Internet Governance working group should follow,
based on ideas submitted by Wolfgang Kleinwachter. No
consensus document was produced, but a proposal was
made, there were no strong objections to it,
some comments, observations and modifications were
submitted, etc. To follow legitimate procedure one should
at least use that as a starting point.

Regarding substantive issues, again nothing was produced
(despite repeated efforts by Jeanette and myself) but I did
submit a brief analysis of the CS Declaration's Phase 1 statement
on Internet governance and how it might need to be modified
going forward. That could serve as a useful starting point for
discussions at a physical meeting.

Sorry I don't have time to look up the archived links to
the specific messages I am referring to, but when one is
given 24 hours notice and the time difference is 8 or so hours....

It's great that you've organized a meeting and hopefully new
people willing to be active will join the list and interact with
the caucus as a whole.

rgds,
--MM

>>> AIZU <aizu at anr.org> 06/24/04 02:39PM >>>
Hi,

I like to propose to have another Internet Governance Caucus
meeting here in Hamammet, 10 am, right after the Civil Society
Plenary in the morning, even there is the Plenary.

The objectve of this meeting is to discuss the common position
of Civil Society Caucus, at least an interim one, on UN SG's
Internet Governance Working Group activity, so that we can
make a brief statement on this subject on Saturday pleanry.

Given the intense discussion in the government plenary
this afternoon, we really need to "say" something during
this PrepCom1, otherwise, Civil Society views will not
be heard.

I will try to find a room and will announce at the tomrrow morning
Civil society pleanry (and this list). I just spoke about this with
Jeannete, our co-coordinator and she generally agreed.

Thanks,

izumi