[WSIS CS-Plenary] WSIS 2 Prepcom 1 - CS Statement No 1

Steve Buckley steve at commedia.org.uk
Fri Jun 25 17:23:27 BST 2004

Statement to the Plenary Session on Prepcom 1, WSIS Phase 2, Hammammet, 25
June 2004 - presented by George Christensen, AMARC-Africa

Civil society organisations, participating in the World Summit on the
Information Society believe a just and equitable information society must
be people-centred, based on respect for fundamental human rights and giving
priority to the reduction of poverty and the implementation of sustainable
development.

During the Geneva phase of the Summit, civil society organisations played a
full and active role. Despite significant constraints on dialogue and
communication within the process itself, civil society organisations
contributed extensively and with good effect.

At the completion of the Geneva Summit we can acknowledge three outcomes:
two intergovernmental documents  the Declaration of Principles and the Plan
of Action, and one civil society document  a declaration titled "Shaping
Information Societies for Human Needs" that was presented to governments at
the final plenary in Geneva.

Although there are several points on which the civil society position is
different from that of the governments we propose the Declaration of
Principles should not be re-opened.

They key principles in the intergovernmental Declaration - on sustainable
development and the millennium development goals, and on human rights and
freedom of expression - should form the measures against which actions in
the second phase are judged.

On the other hand, the Plan of Action, is not a document we can accept to
work with. It was hastily drafted in the final stages of the Geneva Summit,
with little input from civil society. In certain important respects it is
in contradiction with the Declaration of principles and it does not
adequately provide a basis for action and implementation.

We recommend this be reviewed to establish a new and measurable basis for
action.

As we commence the second phase of the World Summit on the Information
Society we would like to re-state our commitment to the priorities set out
in the civil society declaration presented in Geneva  copies are available
here today.

We also wish to remind government that the role of civil society is not
simply one of assisting with implementation but also of observation,
monitoring and holding of governments to account. During the second phase
of the Summit we will continue to provide a constructive but critical input
to the process. We ask for the best conditions to do so in the firm belief
that our contribution will assist in achieving a better outcome.

            steve at commedia.org.uk