[WSIS CS-Plenary] notes on afternoon session of WSIS prepcom I, 25 June

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 25 18:02:41 BST 2004

Brief Notes on WSIS Prepcom I, Afternoon Plenary Session, 25 June

The afternoon session of the Prepcom plenary saw resumed debate on Item
12 (The focus and output of the Tunis Phase) and 13 (the structure of
the process for the Tunis Phase).  Several delegations expressed
reservations about the composition and modalities of the Working Group
on Internet Governance and the Task Force on Financing Mechanisms, in
particular whether they were "open-ended" or not.  Others highlighted
issues that were important to those delegations, including education,
health, government, and less-developed countries concerns. Most
emphasized that they should not renegotiate issues which have already
been agreed upon in the Geneva phase.

The Chair distributed a proposal for a decision of the Prepcom I
related to the focus, output and preparatory process of the Tunis Phase
including a diagram of how the prepcoms relate to the working groups
and other relevant fora.  He also proposed that there would be a
document produced that would be basis for negotiations at the 2nd
Prepcom, which would be drafted by the "friends of the Chair" in
consultation with regional groups.  This document would evolve in light
of thematic and regional meetings that occurred, and would be refined
at Prepcom 2 and 3 until the final Summit.

I presume he is referring to the final "political statement" as well as
the more action-oriented document that would be the final outcome of
the Tunis Summit.

Rik Panganiban

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator

Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship
with the United Nations (CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524