[WSIS CS-Plenary] Control of communications in Tunisia - not enough bandwidth, or something worse...

Enrique A.Chaparro echaparro at uolsinectis.com.ar
Fri Jun 25 19:51:26 BST 2004

Rik asks:

> Someone could do some research if it is even possible to limit access
> to only macintoshes intentionally and directly.

The asnwer is yes. It is technically possible to do it e.g. doing
MAC-address-based filtering (where MAC is not the Apple machine but
Media Access Control address). MAC addresses are unique, and there
are only about 16 possible prefixes that can be associated with
macintoshes.
If any of you have a linux or *bsd machine and some network expertise,
the following experiment can be done: change the MAC address of the
network card in an Intel-based machine to something with prefix
00:50:E4 and try to connect. If it doesn't work, there is a poisoned
filter somewhere filtering packets coming from macintoshes.
However, it sounds very baroque to me. If any "dark force" is trying
to prevent someone to connect, there are many other simpler and
less evident methods to do it.

Regards from the Far South,

Enrique
--