[WSIS CS-Plenary] final prepcomI outcomes

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 27 21:37:23 BST 2004

Dear Colleagues,

The WSIS Phase II Prepcom I finished very late last night (26 June)
around 11:30pm.  As I understand it, governments agreed to accept the
President's draft decision, which outlines the structure of the Tunis
Phase, including its relationship with the Working Group on Internet
Governance and the Task Force on Financial Mechanisms.  The next
prepcom will take place for 7 working days, that is one and a half
weeks, I believe on 17-25 February 2005.

The government drafting group working on the President's text took an
very long time to complete its work, beginning around 4pm and going
until late into the evening.  By some reports, this was a signal of
some governments discontent with how the President was conducting the
process.  It was the Asia Group that had initially expressed
reservations about accepting the text as is without amendment or
discussion, but other African states expressed the desire to go through
the text line-by-line as well.  If other people have different
information, please post it to this list.

Reportedly, civil society and other observers were ejected from the
drafting meeting after a request by the Chinese delegation, which was
supported by the Brazilian delegation.

Meanwhile, the final plenary session of civil society on the evening of
26 June witnessed no major disagreements or discord.  Whether this was
due to general fatigue, the near completion of the prepcom, or no
controversial issues on the table is unknown.  One person observed that
the number of Tunisian participants had dwindled to a handful.  It was
agreed to try and convene a civil society plenary at least the day
prior to the actual prepcom, and that the chair of that meeting would
be from the African caucus.

Regards to all,

Rik Panganiban
CONGO

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator

Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship
with the United Nations (CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524