[WSIS CS-Plenary] 2004 Fellowships for Threatened Scholars

Elizabeth Carll, PhD ecarll at optonline.net
Mon Mar 1 22:26:07 GMT 2004

Dear All,

As previously there was a discussion as to posting of about funding
possibilities, I thought I would pass this on.  While it does not relate
directly to WSIS, I thought some may be interested in this opportunity.
Please feel fee to pass it along to others who may be interested.

Elizabeth

Dr. Elizabeth Carll
Focal Point
International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies;
Chair Media/ICT Working Group,
NGO Committee on Mental Health, New York
Tel: 1-631-754-2424
Fax: 1-631-754-5032
ecarll at optonline.net

CALL FOR NOMINATIONS:

SPRING 2004 FELLOWSHIPS FOR THREATENED SCHOLARS

Dear SAR friends,

Following please find a general announcement of  the spring deadlines for
fellowship  offered through our partner, the IIE Scholar Rescue Fund. We
would appreciate your help in circulating it to any colleagues who may
interested.  We also welcome direct nominations of any individuals you know
who may qualify.

Best,

Rob Quinn

Director
Scholars at Risk Network
<http://scholarsatrisk.nyu.edu>

Executive Director
IIE Scholar Rescue Fund
<http://www.iie.org/SRF>

===================================

Dear Friends,

Following please find an announcement concerning new fellowships for
threatened scholars. Scholars from any country and any field may qualify. We
invite you to nominate suitable candidates, and ask for your help in
forwarding the announcement to any academic colleagues who may be
interested. We are especially eager to identify candidates still facing
threats in their home country/region, who may not be aware of the program.
At the same time, we invite participation from universities and colleges
that might be willing to host fellowship recipients. We are especially eager
to identify universities and colleges outside of the US, especially French,
Spanish and Russian language institutions.

Thanks for your help,

Rob Quinn
Executive Director

ANNOUNCEMENT: 2003 - 2004 FELLOWSHIPS FOR THREATENED SCHOLARS

Scholar Rescue Fund Fellowships

The Institute of International Education's Scholar Rescue Fund provides
fellowships for scholars whose lives and work are threatened in their home
countries. These fellowships permit scholars to find temporary refuge at
universities and colleges anywhere in the world, enabling them to pursue
their academic work and to continue to share their knowledge with students,
colleagues, and the community at large. When conditions improve, these
scholars will return home to help rebuild universities and societies ravaged
by fear, conflict and repression.

How the Scholar Rescue Fund Works:

* Academics, researchers and independent scholars from any country, field or
discipline may qualify. Preference is given to scholars with a Ph.D. or
other highest degree in their field; who have been employed in scholarly
activities at a university, college or other institution of higher learning
during the last four years (excluding displacement or prohibition); who
demonstrate superior academic accomplishment or promise; and whose selection
is likely to benefit the academic community in the home and/or host country
or region. Applications from female scholars and under-represented groups
are strongly encouraged.

* Universities, colleges and research centers in any country may apply to
serve as hosts.

* Applications and nominations should be made to the Fund's Selection
Committee. Institutions interested in hosting a particular scholar should
submit a letter with the scholar's application. Fellowships are awarded to
institutions for support of specific individuals, to be matched in most
cases by the institution or third-party. Fellowship recipients are expected
to continue their work in safety at the host institution-teaching,
lecturing, conducting research, writing and publishing. Fellowships from 3
months to one calendar year will be considered with up to 25 fellowships
awarded annually. The maximum award is US $20,000.

* Applications are accepted at any time. Emergency applications receive
urgent consideration. Non-emergency applications will be considered
according to the following schedule:

Spring 2004: Applications received by April 1; decision by June 1.

How to apply:

Use this link to download the application: 2003-04 SRF Deadlines Application
apply or to learn how your institution might host an SRF scholar contact:

IIE Scholar Rescue Fund Fellowships
809 U.N. Plaza, Second Floor
New York, New York 10017
Tel: (USA) 1-212-984-5472