[WSIS CS-Plenary] Report from Tunisia meeting?

Tracey Naughton t.naughton at iafrica.com
Thu Mar 4 06:39:21 GMT 2004

Hi Robert

I don't believe that the list is censored, though it may be widely read.
What you would be practicing by being economical with the truth on the list
would be self-censorship - a response often adopted by reporters working in
repressive environments where fundamental principles of freedom of
expression / access to information, are compromised. If you feel that the
civil society list constitutes such an environment then we face an extremely
serious situation. I don't believe this is the case or that we should act
like scared rabbits and deny people information - even those who's views we
may want to challenge - lets have open debate.

Please will someone openly report on the Tunis meeting. We expect issues. We
need to address them. We cannot claim to be transparent and participatory
and rely on isolated 'full briefings' in  far away places between two
people.

Robert, I know that your intentions are very good, but principles must be
adhered to if we are to even dream of any equilibrium on this globe. As
concerned as you may be about outing with your impression of the Tunis
meeting, we all need to know and we must guard against the creation of
information rich cliques.

Best wishes

Tracey

Nyaka - Communication & Development