[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: Draft Roadmap for Second Summit PhaseAvailable

richard t jordan richardjordan at lycos.com
Sat Mar 6 13:36:39 GMT 2004

--Hi, I will be posting this same messge on the wsis-online debate shortly, but thought to share with this list.

There would be one way to begin to address issues not only of internet governance, but also of private sector participation at the UN (post-Zedillo panel report just issued this week), NGO access issues and the internet working group.

It's a very practical solution, and even one of the working rooms at WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization) is set up similarly.

At UN Headquarters in New York -- and one of the UN's ICT partners, e.g., Cisco or Markle Foundation copuld assist -- there is one room that currently could be "reconfigured" slightly to make it into a totally interactive room where civil society, private sector and Member States could participate on a full and equal basis, along with experts and persons worldwide, to work on solutions to problems of the, how to term it, "global commons."

Room 8, a small room, is configured in the shape of a horseshoe. Similar to the WIPO room, also horseshoe-shaped, place a computer at each place around the table. Enable experts to sit around the sides -- there are currently about 35-50 seats on the sides -- with outlets for laptops, and engage in seminars and ongoing working groups to solve problems, with the participation of others worldwide.

Have a couple of persons, gender balanced, North-South or East-West balanced, take questions/replies and relay them to those working.

It could be a way to break down barriers and enable solutions to arise, with the participation of academics and others worldwide.

Just a thought. Of course, with word that the SG's phone had been tapped, perhaps we should begin again!

Richrd Jordan