[WSIS CS-Plenary] Tunis censored???

Nnenna nne75 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 7 13:14:14 GMT 2004

Hello all

I am a bit surprised to hear of "censorship" in Tunis?  Is Robert saying he will feel freer out of Tunis or is he saying that he cannot report anything unless he leaves Tunis?

Well...

I personally did do a four- pager on the African Civil Society Coordination which I handed out to everyone including the guys from the ministry.  Everyone!  And noone questioned me about it.

I gave three interviews: one to the TV and two to radios (one radio in French and the other in Arabic) in which I stressed the need for freedom of the press and the need for the Tunisian CS to really participate in the processes, not just act as figurines.  I stressed the need for the inclusion of women, children, youth and the handicaped.  The TV did not edit it, It came on just that way!

On Monday evening, before even the meeting started, the ICT and Transport Minister attended the CS meeting and answered our questions.  In all, CS members present in Tunis met three times, before, during and after the informal meeting.  I do not remember anyone raising a point on censorship.

  Alain and Louise also had appointments in town.  They will be in the best position to report on those.  I did meet with the Tunisian CS members to chat on the implication of the Tunisian CS and I must say I was not disappointed.

Hiroshi, the handicaped family Focal Point and myself paid a visit to an NGO that works with Handicaped kids.  I appreciated the activities and the political will that the center testified of.

Another thing, the govt announced the creation of a CS facilitation fund. He also informed us that the organization committee had two CS members.  We welcomed those.

Lastly, it will be important to notice that the meeting was an informal one.  Individuals were invited on personal basis, and this was clear from the word go.  The results of the meeting is also informal.

I do not intend this to be a report.  It is a personal contribution.

Nnenna