[WSIS CS-Plenary] S&T for Development in WSIS--March 23 planning meeting

Frannie Wellings wellings at epic.org
Mon Mar 22 22:05:55 GMT 2004

Hi everyone - If anyone's in DC tomorrow, please join me at this
meeting.  I just got this agenda (below)... we need civil society to
speak up at this discussion of public-private partnerships!?! :)
- Frannie

>Subject: FW: S&T for Development in WSIS--March 23 planning meeting
>Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 16:10:46 -0500
>From: "Uhlir, Paul" <PUhlir at nas.edu>
>To: "Frannie Wellings" <wellings at epic.org>
>
>Frannie, here is the announcement. You are welcome to forward it to other
>potentially interested parties.  - Paul
>++++++++++++++++++
>
>Dear colleague:
>
>This is to invite you to a public meeting on "Science and Technology for
>Development of the Information Society," which will review potential
>follow-up activities to the first World Summit on the Information Society
>(WSIS). The meeting will be held this Tuesday afternoon, March 23, at the
>main National Academy of Sciences building at 2100 C Street NW. The purpose
>of this public forum is to identify issues and activities related to the WSIS
>process in which the US S&T community can play a constructive role in
>promoting US interests and values.
>
>The meeting will be divided into 3 parts. The first session will provide
>overview presentations by policy and funding organizations about WSIS
>follow-up plans. The second session will focus on specific proposals for
>WSIS-related S&T public-sector projects or activities. The final session will
>examine opportunities for public-private partnerships in this area.
>
>The meeting will be open, but advance notice of participation is requested.
>In particular, if there are specific proposals that people would like to
>discuss at the meeting, they are requested to bring 50 copies of a one-page
>summary of each proposal. There is a nominal 5-minute limit on oral
>presentations about each project at the meeting. We expect there to be some
>time for general discussion and opportunities for networking on the break and
>following the meeting. Additional meetings may be held subsequently on
>specific issues or proposals, depending on interest.
>
>Please let me know if you have any questions and distribute this info to any
>potentially interested parties.
>
>Regards,
>
>Paul Uhlir
>

>Paul F. Uhlir, J.D.
>Director, Office of International S&T Information Programs
>The National Academies
>500 Fifth Street, NW
>Washington, DC 20001
>U.S.A.
>Tel. (202) 334 2807 (x1531 direct)
>Fax (202) 334 2231
>E-mail: puhlir at nas.edu
>Internet: http://www7.nationalacademies.org/biso/ISTIP.html

Science and Technology for Development of the Information Society:
Planning Meeting for Post-WSIS I Follow-up Activities

Office of International Scientific and Technical Information Programs
Board on International Scientific Organizations
The National Academies

The Lecture Room
National Academy of Sciences
2100 C Street NW
Washington, DC

Preliminary Agenda

Tuesday, March 23

Session 1: Overview Presentations

1:15  Welcoming remarks
Wm. Wulf, National Academy of Engineering
- Summary of S&T issues in WSIS
- Meeting goals and structure

1:30  Overview of U.S. Government interests in WSIS
Richard Beaird, Dept. of State

1:45  UNESCO's interests in WSIS
Mogens Schmidt, UNESCO

2:05  The Overseas Private Investment Corporation program for ICT
infrastructure
Jim Gale, OPIC

2:20  General discussion

Session 2: Proposals for WSIS-related Public-Sector Projects

2:30  Introductory remarks
Paul Uhlir, NRC/ISTIP

2:35  5-minute presentations of proposed projects*
- General discussion

3:45  Break

Session 3: Proposals for WSIS-related Public-Private Partnerships

4:10  Introductory remarks
Marilyn Cade, AT&T

4:25  5-minute presentations of proposed projects*
- General discussion

5:25  Closing comments/next steps
Paul Uhlir, NRC/ISTIP

5:30  Adjourn

Frannie Wellings
Policy Fellow, Electronic Privacy Information Center
Coordinator, The Public Voice
1718 Connecticut Ave. N.W., Suite 200
Washington, D.C.  20009   USA
wellings at epic.org
+1 202 483 1140 extension 107 (telephone)
+1 202 483 1248 (fax)
http://www.epic.org
http://www.thepublicvoice.org