[WSIS CS-Plenary] comments on a European Parliament member's wsis manifesto

Frannie Wellings wellings at epic.org
Tue Mar 30 17:15:17 BST 2004

Hi everyone!
Marco Cappato, an Italian member of European Parliament and a good
ally, is drafting an appeal regarding WSIS '05 and is asking for
comments. The text is below. His e-mail address is Mcappato (at)
europarl.eu.int - please send comments by April 7th.  - Frannie

>Dear friend,
>
>with my friend and fellow radical member Marco Perduca we have
>drafted the following appeal/manifesto to mobilize all those who
>care about freedom within and outside the net, in view of the 2nd
>phase of the World Summit of the Information Society that will be
>convened in Tunis in November 2005.
>
>It is still a draft, on which we have been working for a while,
>organizing also an event in Geneva last December, and we need to
>negotiated the part on Tunis with our Tunisian friends and
>colleagues, who don't favor a boycott. So, I would be extremely
>thankful if, within April 7, you could have a look at it and email
>me your comments - contents, form, English, tech stuff, privacy
>matters etc. (anything you believe should be added) - and
>endorsement (of course), so that in a few weeks we could plan a
>worldwide launch and prepare some actions.
>
>With my very best wishes,
>
>Marco Cappato
>

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>THE TUNIX.05 APPEAL/MANIFESTO
>

>We firmly believe in the principles contained in the Universal
>Declaration of Human Rights, and therefore are convinced that there
>can only be a free, open and accountable Information Society as
>foreseen in the Declaration of Principle of the World Summit on
>Information Society.
>
>Free: free as in freedom of speech, freedom to share knowledge,
>ideas and creativity in mutual respect, and through peaceful
>manners, without pervasive or violent restrictions, limitations or
>control; free like the ideas that have allowed the development of
>programs and systems that can be shared and improved by anybody,
>facilitating a variegated  and cooperative human progress.
>
>Open: open to the multilingual and multicultural contribution of
>everybody. Open to the scrutiny of the public through policies that
>regulate the abuse of dominant positions by governmental or private
>entities, and that also contribute to the elimination of new digital
>barriers against people with disabilities; open to the development
>of programs and applications that guarantee the participation of
>every individual in the democratic process, and ultimately the
>enjoyment of civil and political rights, including the right to
>privacy.
>
>Accountable: rights, namely those enshrined in the International
>Covenant on Civil and Political Rights ratified by over 140 nations,
>should be fully enjoyed regardless of the political regime that
>govern a country. No special, let alone emergency laws or
>regulations should be adopted to govern the Information Society.
>
>Whereas the United Nations has launched the laudable initiative to
>address the needs and constraints of world communication
>
>We launch this TUNIX.05 APPEAL/MANIFESTO to decision makers charged
> [...]
  Should the international community decide to turn a blind eye on
this worrying situation, each and every person, and ourselves among
them, should reserve their inalienable right to nonviolent actions of
direct and cyber civil disobedience in order to activate goodwill
citizens the world over to reverse this course of events.

Frannie Wellings
Policy Fellow, Electronic Privacy Information Center
Coordinator, The Public Voice
1718 Connecticut Ave. N.W., Suite 200
Washington, D.C.  20009   USA
wellings at epic.org
+1 202 483 1140 extension 107 (telephone)
+1 202 483 1248 (fax)
http://www.epic.org
http://www.thepublicvoice.org