[WSIS CS-Plenary] Bruce Sterling Blog: Merge the UN and the Internet

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 4 04:13:05 BST 2004

Some not-so-serious Monday morning reading for you all.....

San Francisco writer Bruce Sterling has posted a somewhat
tongue-in-cheek blog entry on the eco-tech website "Worldchanging"
where he argues that the United Nations should "marry" the Internet.
He has some interesting things to say about the deficiencies of the UN
and the internet, the WSIS process, and the ITU.  I.e.

> At WSIS, earnest people are trying hard to make it look like our
> world's net-transformation is happening on purpose.  There might be a
> tipping point in there -- if enough of  them can agree on a societal
> spirit and a set of online rules.  But their rules haven't yet been
> invented.  Why?  Because the Web doesn't know what diplomacy is.  The
> Net has got no such idea.  The Net's got  some social software,
> collaborative websites and buddy lists, but the Net still lacks any
> deliberative  tools that any diplomat or a parliamentarian would take
> seriously. There are no sound methods of establishing transparency,
> inclusiveness, and accountability for online negotiators, in all the
> major languages.  Nobody has addressed that market, because that isn't
> a market at all -- that is governance.

Check it out here:

	http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/001314.html

Enjoy.

Rik Panganiban

"Bruce Sterling Is Worldchanging"

Imagine that the United Nations married the Internet. Any matchmaking
program would consider them a dream date. After all, they're both (a)
supposedly global in scale and (b) fearsomely crippled.

The UN has cumbersome rules, no popular participation, and can't get
anything useful done about the darkly rising tide of stateless terror
and military adventurism. The UN was invented  to "unite nations"
rather than people. The Internet unites people, but it's politically
illegitimate. Vigilante lawfare outfits like RIAA and MPAA can torment
users and ISPs at will. The dominant OS is a hole-riddled monopoly. Its
business models collapsed in a welter of stock-kiting corruption. The
Net is a lawless mess of cross-border spam and fraud.

Logically, there ought to be some inventive way to cross-breed the
grass-rootsy cheapness, energy and immediacy of the Net with the
magisterial though cumbersome, crotchety, crooked and opaque United
Nations.  Then bride and groom would unite their virtues and overcome
those gloomy vices gnawing at their vitals.  The global worldchanging
multitudes could beat back the darkness of the gathering New World
Disorder while swiftly improving the cramped lives of the planet's
majority in a beneficent orgy of networked interdependence! Wow!

That's a spectacular vision, but I'm not the one making it up. Last
year in Switzerland, world delegates from 180 nations triumphantly
proclaimed the dawn of universal global access to information!

     "We, the representatives of the peoples of the world, (...) declare
our common desire and commitment to build a people-centered, inclusive
and development-oriented Information Society,  where everyone can
create, access, utilize and share information and  knowledge(...)"

The World Summit on the Information Society is the weirdest global
summit on the globe.

The sponsor of WSIS is the International Telecommunications Union, an
outfit that formally belongs to the UN, but it is fifty years older.
Today the terms "Union," "International" and "Telecommunications" are
all archaic, so the ITU needs a raison d'etre. The ITU's idea of a
summit looks nothing much like normal, formal UN summits, except for
the customary big hall and swarms of translators. In the WSIS summit in
Geneva in December 2003, diplomats abandoned their podiums to go mix it
up with hardware vendors. That behavior is unheard of.  Odder yet,
civil society groups (normally kept at a nice safe distance at summits,
shrieking and sucking tear gas) were cordially brought right into the
mix. At WSIS, the NGOS were finally treated as what they are:
connectors, network brokers, and means of access.

If you want to crawl inside a big, scary, global summit and see its
entrails without even leaving your chair, then WSIS is the summit for
you.

There are many cautious distinctions formally made between the UN per
se, the WSIS Summit,  the "summit organizing process," the ITU, and the
wsis-online.net website.  For our purposes, wsis-online is naturally
where it's at.  Here Kofi Annan offers you a personal invitation to log
right on to the dizzy apex of global policy-making.

Here it is. Have a look. Don't be scared. These guys really need you to
give them something to do.

These WSIS attendees come from literally all over. They can't find a
boss, a coherent agenda, any carrots or sticks, or any guns or butter.
Instead they are immersed, apparently forever, in a dizzying host of
thoroughly unlikely, lateral, polyglot connections: the "All-Ukrainian
Association of Computer Clubs" rubs virtual  elbows with the Egyptian
"Free Internet Initiative."  The Malaysian  Super Corridor tries hard
to look really Super. The Australian Agency for International
Development wonders how to improve matters in the Third World without
getting car-bombed for it.

At WSIS, earnest people are trying hard to make it look like our
world's net-transformation is happening on purpose.  There might be a
tipping point in there -- if enough of  them can agree on a societal
spirit and a set of online rules.  But their rules haven't yet been
invented.  Why?  Because the Web doesn't know what diplomacy is.  The
Net has got no such idea.  The Net's got  some social software,
collaborative websites and buddy lists, but the Net still lacks any
deliberative  tools that any diplomat or a parliamentarian would take
seriously. There are no sound methods of establishing transparency,
inclusiveness, and accountability for online negotiators, in all the
major languages.  Nobody has addressed that market, because that isn't
a market at all -- that is governance.

Here's the secret of summits: heads of state at summits do practically
nothing.  They have dinner there, basically. All the real work gets
done by legions of "sherpas." These summiteering technocrats handle the
choice of issues, drafts of documents, rules of order, agenda-setting,
prioritizing... the tangle of bureaucratic fooforaw that is the life
and death of nations and international bodies. Sherpas are a digitally
under-served group. Sherpas still do their labors face to face, in big
international hotels. Nobody's come up with a good way to do serious
sherpa-work online. A legitimate, accountable, binding, electronic,
Net-based way.

WSIS is a site for digital sherpas trying to imagine and invent such a
thing.

WSIS may not succeed -- but somebody probably could. Then you'd truly
have the worldchanging infant of the Net and the UN. The group that
pulled that off could be bigger than the self-appointed Davos Forum,
faster and smarter than the Porto Alegre contingent, less cranky than
the Soros initiatives, less creepy than Bilderberg, more potent than
MoveOn, and faster-spreading than Napster.  Imagine that -- what if
that actually worked?

Bruce Sterling, Worldchanging Ally#1, is the author of a mess of great
books, including Holy Fire, Tomorrow Now and Zenith Angle, and the man
behind the curtain at Beyond the Beyond.

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator

Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship
with the United Nations (CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524