[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: Governance implications of the Macedonia story

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Tue Oct 5 15:30:24 BST 2004

For anyone who lacks information about what is
going on, here is a news story that explains:

http://www.balkanalysis.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=369

Veni, you proposed a variety of ways in which technical
measures could be used in the short term to allow affected
individuals to bypass the block. While I praised you for bringing
it to the ICANN baord's attention, I don't think that the short-
term fixes you discussed really address the problem in
a systematic way.

That is why I took the discussion to the
governance list, where I framed it as a governance
issue. This requires longer-term fixes that would involve
rule  changes by ICANN or someone else regarding
registrar or ISP conduct. Obviously those longer term
changes don't help the individuals immediately affected.
So both approaches are necessary. But the real
business of this caucus (governance) and of the WGIG,
is to investigate governance problems, not work-arounds.

--MM

>>> veni at veni.com 10/5/2004 3:19:19 AM >>>
Milton,
while I have commented on the original message in my mail to the WSIS
plenary mailing list, but not in the governance list, why do you tend
copy both lists? You should have either responded only in the plenary,
or -
when cc: governance, you should have quoted my message, and not the
original. Because people at the governance, who are not reading the
plenary
would not know why my name is involved, what has ICANN to do with that,
etc.

Perhaps you could have quoted my note, too, which gives some possible
ideas
how to solve the problems. And, of course, your proposals how to solve
such
problems would have been welcome. As one is always "part of the
problem,
part of the solution or part of the landscape";)

I really think we have to be more precise when using quotes

v.