[WSIS CS-Plenary] Fwd: RE: [icann-board] Fwd: [GKD-DOTCOM] Cyber-Security and E-commerce

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Wed Oct 6 10:51:53 BST 2004

Il mer, 2004-10-06 alle 10:31, Vinton G. Cerf ha scritto:
> Vittorio,
>
> This is an interesting issue -  as long as registration is competitive, I hope we could avoid dictating the business positions of
> the competing registrars.

There are well known ways to ensure universal access without having to
force every player on the market to do business with all the globe, or
breaking competition.

For example, ICANN could ask for bids to run a sort of "universal
registrar service" which satisfies a number of public access
requirements, while subsidizing its extra costs. Or it could ensure
special (low cost, low burden) treatment to ISPs in developing and least
developed countries which want to become accredited registrars to
provide service locally, with provisions that would prevent these
companies from exploiting these advantages to compete unfairly in
developed countries.

These are just my one-minute ideas, but the bottom line is that I think
that while registrars are free not to care about Macedonian registrants,
ICANN is not - so global universal access to gTLD registrations is an
issue that should be discussed and solved.
--
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu.org