[WSIS CS-Plenary] recommendations for WGIG

Martin Olivera martin_olivera at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Oct 7 09:09:56 BST 2004

Dear Bertrand,

thanks for your answer.
35 nominations were received from the different geographic
> and thematic caucuses; given the expectation that the WGIG
> itself is going to be about 30 people, the goal was to
> identify a slate of about 10 people, which, given the effort
> at geographical balance, made about 2 names per region.

I am concerned by the way the people is selected/voted/

I understand and share the idea, but you and all should know that Carlos
Afonso and Raul Echebarria together with some other people from LAC left
out the LAC caucus list because of they do not like discussions terms
there (especially some comments about RITS, the organization of Carlos
Afonso, have had relations with organizations supporting G-8 vision of
Information Society, I do not know if this is true or not, and anyone
could define if it is good or not, I am not judging them, but the
attitude of feeling offended by the comments, going away and create a
new LAC "private club" caucus just for friends does not seem a good
attitude).

LAC caucus continued working, although our focal point Olinca Marino
left out the list also, so we are reorganizing them with the present,
looking for more participation and also propose members for WGIG:
Enrique Chaparro (Argentina) and Mario Teza (Brazil) was elected.
This was reflected in nomminations as a kind of LAC Caucus "split" with
nommintions of Carlos Afonso and Raul Echebarria by one side and Enrique
Chaparro and Mario Teza by the other. So if selection would like to be
democrtic and you would like to select two people from LAC, best option
should be one nominee from each "spplited LAC sides".
I am continuosly seeing that WSIS process is very non-democratic, and
decisions are based more in previous knowledge between people than in
public elections and participation, specially in the "Civil Society"
participation.

I guess if WSIS process is really working for a World Information
Society, or just to convalide the companies vision, with the power of
governments and with the gratefull side-listening of the "civil
society".

The Information Society is now here. Companies helped, but they did not
do it. Government could help, but they did not do it. People of the
world is doing the Information Society. It will be IN or OUT the WSIS
process, depending on how democratic, inclusive, participating be this
process.
WSIS IS NOT BUILDING THE INFORMATION SOCIETY, but it is just a tool for
that. If it is well used, we will have good results; if not, WSIS will
be just a bad remember in the future IS.

In this way

Martín Olivera