[WSIS CS-Plenary] Minutes of the WSIS Intergovernmental Bureau meeting, 30 Sept

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 7 20:38:42 BST 2004

Ralf,

Thanks for this very interesting, if not very encouraging, information.
  Just a quick summary of what we have lost:

1.  "Friends of the Chair" has no civil society participation, only the
ability to address a small portion of 3 public meetings at the
beginning.  Otherwise the Friends of the Chair are really the
Governmental Friends of the Chair. This is a tremendous loss, since the
Chair indicated his interest in including civil society in this
drafting group.

2.  The TF on Financing Mechanisms has no civil society representation,
with the exception of Anriette of APC and I guess the Grameen Bank
representative.

3.  Civil Society can not organize WSIS Thematic or Regional Events.
Only events sponsored by a UN agency or a government can qualify for
being an official side event.  So don't put the logo on your event
flyers if you are an NGO.

4. The Summit Framework Document has not been signed.  The document
agreeing on the exact arrangements for the World Summit has not yet
been finalized between the UN and the host country.  This seems to me
quite late and worrying.

All in all, disheartening.

Rik Panganiban