[WSIS CS-Plenary] FBI Seizes Indymedia Servers in the UK

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Sat Oct 9 17:14:46 BST 2004

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 07:32:27 +0200, Martin Olivera
><martin_olivera at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
>

>>But with this new, I am thinking if UN should create a WIF task force
>>(World Internet Freedom task force) to avoid this kind of violation to
>>Human Rights on Internet.
>>

>More simply, I think that we should push for "cross-boundary protection of
>freedom of expression and press" to be inserted as one of the items in
>WGIG's agenda.

Well... Maritime (?) law comes to mind. The whole internet is an
international zone. What happens within that zone that affects different
countries will always be problematic, and resolutions need to be found.
I could dig for the exact details, but here's a few things that have
really happened:

(1) A corporation from the United States was sued for slander, and the
Australian court was the one which handled it.
(2) The United States and the UK didn't see eye to eye on the UK's 'new'
Spam laws. I don't recall how this ended up...

There is a need for an independant entity to these matters. Can the U.N.
provide that? Maybe.

--
Taran Rampersad

cnd at knowprose.com

http://www.linuxgazette.com
http://www.a42.com
http://www.worldchanging.com
http://www.knowprose.com
http://www.easylum.net

" It requires greater courage to preserve inner freedom, to move on in one's inward journey into new realms, than to stand defiantly for outer freedom."— Rollo May