[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [governance] clarifications on "connectors"

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Sat Oct 9 22:47:18 BST 2004

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 15:05:48 -0400, "rsagun at takingitglobal.org"
<rsagun at takingitglobal.org> wrote:

>1. How would the "connectors" specifically work with the CS reps to the
>WGIG AND to the entire WGIG itself? Putting the specifics would be a good
>start.
>2. Would the "connectors" be provided with opportunities to physically
>engage in WGIG consultative meetings?

No one knows yet how the WGIG will work - not even how many members it will
have, and how many, if any, of our civil society nominees will be included
in it - so I'd say that these questions are a little premature.

>On a separate but very important issue, shouldn't the selected CS nominees
>and "connectors" who are affiliated or who represent private
>sector-dominated CS groups have applied for nomination through the Private
>Sector, who as a sector is fielding its own nominees?

I am sympathetic to this issue, but how do we define which groups are
"private sector-dominated"? I guess your question hides a more general issue
on whether there should be requirements to join the civil society
structures. Requirements might be useful but also dangerous - who gets to
decide which groups/members are eligible as "true civil society" and which
should be treated as disguised private sector representatives?

I suspect that it might be better to be open to capture than to censorship,
but I don't have a final answer on this.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...