[WSIS CS-Plenary] Rackspace customer service...

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Tue Oct 12 17:31:08 BST 2004

Andrea.list wrote:

>"Rackspace is acting as a good corporate citizen and is
>cooperating with international law enforcement authorities."....but
>definitely not with its customers..let's try this "game", Rackspace managed
>hosting (www.rackspace.com) has a live chat customer service, I used it to
>makes some questions..here you have how did it went:
>

>Welcome to Rackspace. My name is Cheryl and I am a Live sales assistant. How
>may I help you today?
>Cheryl: Are you interested in a dedicated managed server?
>
>you: what hell it's happen with indymedia?!
>Cheryl: ?
>
>you: I mean the seize of servers in britain by FBI
>
>Thank you for chatting with us. We value your feedback. Please answer a few
>questions about your experience by clicking the "X" at top right to close
>the chat window.
>You are not currently in a chat session.
>
>I invite you to try, maybe something will come out or simply we will slow a
>bit their customer service!

It's quite likely that the customer service people are paid a wage to
assist with technical problems, and have no idea what's going on. Sadly,
these same people may feel the same way about what has happened, but
it's also quite likely that their management won't listen to them.

And a bit of irony: It's completely possible that the people involved in
the online chat aren't in the U.S., U.K, Switzerland... they may
actually be in India, if Rackspace has followed the trend to outsource
to India. And that makes this all the more important for the WGIG.

--
Taran Rampersad

cnd at knowprose.com

http://www.linuxgazette.com
http://www.a42.com
http://www.worldchanging.com
http://www.knowprose.com
http://www.easylum.net

"Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase...The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who do survive"
— Frank Herbert, 'Dune'