[WSIS CS-Plenary] Balancing Free Speech

Jonathan Cave j.a.k.cave at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Oct 15 09:41:51 BST 2004

Dear Dale,

Thank you for your comments. It seems to me that your analogy is imperfect
on two counts. The first is the 'dangerous speech' analogy. Leaving aside
the issue of whether targeted speech is more or less likely to cause cause
injury than causing a panic, the fact remains that taking down the servers
in no way resembles cordoning off the theatre to keep the culprit from
escaping. It also does not prevent the escape of any potential witnesses.
This is a virtual space, remember? All it does is to create the "impression
of repression" which, I would submit, is a pretty loud cry of "fire!"

Second, the incendiary impression given by the fact that the 'victims' were
Republican delegates to a convention that has long since finished is
multiplied by the Sinclair Broadcast Group's intention to pre-empt 60 local
stations for what is by all accounts a piece of anti-Kerry propoganda on
the eve of the election. As one of the US FCC Commissioners puts it:

>FCC COMMISSIONER COPPS CRITICIZES SINCLAIR CORPORATE DECISION TO PREEMPT
>LOCAL STATIONS FOR POLITICAL BROADCAST
>

>Commissioner Michael J. Copps reacted to reports that Sinclair Broadcast
>Group will preempt more than 60 local stations across the country to air
>an overtly political program in the days prior to the Presidential election.
>
>Copps stated:  "This is an abuse of the public trust.  And it is proof
>positive of media consolidation run amok when one owner can use the public
>airwaves to blanket the country with its political ideology -- whether
>liberal or conservative.  Some will undoubtedly question if this is
>appropriate stewardship of the public airwaves.  This is the same
>corporation that refused to air Nightline's reading of our war dead in
>Iraq.  It is the same corporation that short-shrifts local communities and
>local jobs by distance-casting news and weather from hundreds of miles
>away.  It is a sad fact that the explicit public interest protections we
>once had to ensure balance continue to be weakened by the Federal
>Communications Commission while it allows media conglomerates to get even
>bigger.  Sinclair, and the FCC, are taking us down a dangerous road."
>
><http://www.fcc.gov>www.fcc.gov

So, while I applaud your clever argument, it seems to miss the main point
of the group's concerns - as I understand them.

Cheers,

Jonathan