[WSIS CS-Plenary] ICANN is [not exactly] doing somethingright to fight fraud

Nabil El-Khodari webmaster at nilebasin.com
Sun Oct 17 13:49:14 BST 2004

Dear Milton:

Thanks for your detailed response. IMHO, two wrongs do not make a right.
As for potentiality of spam, I believe that any person who embarks on
providing content on the Internet is quite used to it and can handle.
Guarding the 'anonymousity' of a potentially global content provider is
really a call for disaster.

Worse is having no way to contact the hosting company (as can be obtained
from the name servers) to complain about abuse as I tried lately because
of wrong information listed.

We have a duty towards the end-user of the Internet, who is most commonly
not as savvy as either the content provider or the hosting company.

The question here is much broader, individual vs. common good. Though my
argument may portray me as a pro-control (with its potential abuses), I
believe the right degree of control is needed with guarantees that whoever
is the controlling power would not abuse such powers.

Sincerely,

Nabil El-Khodari
Founder/Treasurer
Nile Basin Society
Tel.: +1 (647) 722-3256
Fax: +1 (647) 722-3273

http://nilebasin.com
http://nilebasin.net
http://nile.ca
108 Waterbury Dr.
Toronto, Ontario, M9R 3Y3
Canada

"If the people will lead, the leaders will follow." Dr. David Suzuki