[WSIS CS-Plenary] Balancing Free Speech

Jonathan Cave j.a.k.cave at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Oct 18 08:38:30 BST 2004

Milton:

I am sorry that I did not make my argument clear: I was trying to draw
attention to two factors that I believe are relevant to IG. The first is
that - as an alternative channel for disseminating information and
political comment - the Internet affects and is affected by developments in
complementary or substitute channels. The second is that government or
political concerns may well lead to policies that directly affect freedom
of speech on the Internet, and which move beyond well-established
boundaries for broadcast and print media. The US is not alone in this.

But I do hope that US politics is and remains irrelevant to IG and shall
not continue this thread. Apologies to the group for going off-topic.

Jonathan