[WSIS CS-Plenary] call for papers: achieving "e-government for all"

Andy Carvin acarvin at edc.org
Tue Sep 7 20:34:52 BST 2004

(please feel free to re-distribute if appropriate)

Hi everyone,

As some of you may know, my organization is actively exploring the
possibility of hosting a virtual follow-up to last year's E-Government
for All conference (www.egov4all.org) early next year, in conjunction
with a real-world conference that would serve as a thematic meeting on
e-government and the digital divide in support of WSIS. We're talking
actively with potential partners and funders, and hope to make an
official announcement later this autumn.

In the meantime, I'm still seeking to put together a list of experts we
could solicit to write essays on E-Government for All for a
pre-conference anthology we hope to publish at the end of the year.
We're searching for experts who can articulate the relationship between
e-government deployment and the need for policies for bridging the
digital divide. For example, we hope to identify experts from
government, civil society, academia, the donor community and the private
sector who believe that e-government deployment must be part of a
broader ICT policy to bridge the digital  divide, improve public
Internet access, address a diversity of literacy, language and
accessibility needs, etc., in order to make e-government accessible to
all people.

We are committed to making our anthology as diverse as possible, so at
the moment I am specifically seeking to identify experts from developing
countries, representatives of indigenous groups, ethnic minorities, the
disabled and women, as well as a small number of youth representatives,
who have a particular perspective on achieving e-government for all. If
anyone has any suggestions of experts, or would themselves like to
propose writing on a particular topic, please email me off-list at
acarvin @ edc.org. Please be sure to include contact information, areas
of expertise, professional experience, and essay topic suggestions, if
appropriate.

Thanks,

ac

--