[WSIS CS-Plenary] Veni's objections

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Sep 13 19:24:34 BST 2004

>>> veni markovski <veni at veni.com> 09/13/04 10:59AM >>>
>It's a proof that the process is a total mess. There are 20+ caucuses,
and
>each of them feels obliged to propose at least 10 names. That makes
200
>people!?

>I don't think anyone would consider the civil society input as
constructive
>at this point.

Veni:
I don't consider this recent input of yours to be
constructive.

The NCUC process was definitely not a "mess,"
it was quite orderly. And yet you attacked that too --
on the very weak grounds that despite having every
world region represented and people from Uruguay,
Cameroun, Togo, Brazil and Korea it was somehow
"Northern dominated."

Yes, the WSIS-CS Internet governance caucus's process
is not ideal, but they have to deal with the fact that
WSIS-CS is not as formally organized as NCUC.
So given that fact, asking for nominations from the
caucuses is a reasonable thing to do. I was not a
supporter of that method but now that it has been
implemented we ought to try to make it work. The
caucuses were asked for a maximum of 3 names, not
10, as you know well.

The process may be messy but you are attacking the
results before there are any results!

Shouldn't you acknowledge that your status as an ICANN
Board member might affect your judgement here, just a bit?

--MM