[WSIS CS-Plenary] news on TF on Financing Mechanism

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at noos.fr
Tue Sep 14 21:59:54 BST 2004

 Français : Djilalali postera demain.

Dear Ralf

>The Task Force really seems to be set up below the radar. They have
>already started the drafting process!

At Hammamet, Nishimoto made a remarkably open assessement of the
situation and
invited all Civil Society stakeholders to participate and provide input.
I discussed with him for a long time later on because we have been
preparing for quite some time a proposition that would go beyond
that is proposed in the Cardoso report concerning the formation of
Multistakeholder
Partnerships in general, and this of course
this is of interest for the implementation of WSIS recommendations.
He was quite open to our preliminary suggestions and we started working
on it.
As you known, this is a rather technical topic that requires both
expertise and caution.
This MSP proposal is well advanced but not yet fully ready to be
communicated so
we can open to discussions and comments.

I tried to get some info in August from UNDP in New York.
My understanding is they were far behind schedule.
Since then, I did not have time to contact them. I hope that they are
going to include
Civil Society "experts"  or representatives in their Bureau as I urged
them to do.

Concerning the need of forming a Working Group on  Financing Mechanims,
Djilali Benamrane ( from Niger and with an extensive experience about
financing
mechanisms with PNUD  )  and me have been planning to offer such a
suggestion
to the Civil Society and open a web site that should allow to present this
proposal in the most transparent and inclusive way :
( see http://www.wsis-finance.org or  http://www.wsis-financing.org,
we prefer the former because finance word is the same word in French
and English )  and a mailing list  finance at wtis.org,
 as soon as the dust around the WGIG formation is setlled,
because we felt it would be difficult to catch the full attention of the
Civil Society
at the present time, but may be we should start sooner
according to your latest information.

You are most welcome to our pre-proposal brainstorming.
Everybody is kindly invited to contact Djilali
(  not me at the moment, because I am really overworked, those days )
if you are interested in joining us towards formulating such a proposal
to the Civil Society.

Best regards

Francis