[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: Veni's objections

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Wed Sep 15 09:29:27 BST 2004

At 04:04 15-09-04  -0400, Ronald Koven wrote:
>In other words, we will not consider competence as the first factor but
>geography. That's not something new. It's exactly how the UN system
>recruits its Secretariats, with the result that they are riddled with
>incompetents who have the right passports.

Ronald,
I wouldn't be so sure there are not enough competent people in the South.
On the contrary, from my experience is not only they are competent, but
they also have other features, which are contributing to the work of the
civil society. And could contribute to the work of the WSIS, should we all
try to ensure equal (quota) participation.

North is taking many things for granted, while South is often forced to
fight for them. This fight builds characters, which we need now in the WSIS.

>"Something new" would be for civil society to advance its best, most
>experienced and competent people with a chance having real impact on the
>outcome. Civil society could dominate the process intellectually if its
>representatives were superior in knowledge and brainpower to the
>governmental representatives.

That's another argument we may start, but it will be completly off topic.

best,
veni