[WSIS CS-Plenary] [governance] Re: Veni's objections

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Tue Sep 14 06:29:24 BST 2004

Veni,

Speaking as someone from the North, but whose kids are Brazilian as
well as US citizens, and who spends weeks a year there, calling Brazil
an advanced country is quite a stretch. Middle income developing country
is the category which fits. As they say in Brazil: "Brazil is the
country of the future, and always will be!"

In any case, yes I agree South Korea has graduated from the developing
country category.

But just speaking geographically, not sure you're from the 'South'
either ; )   In any case Brazil still has a ways to go - certainly for
its majority. So 4:7 maybe, if that matters to you. Still Milton/NCUC
has a geographically distributed list, presumably of people willing and
able to participate in WGIG, which is more than this caucus has been
able to assemble as yet.

So perhaps that might be a more constructive focus?? And your
suggestions are?

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

At 14:24 13-09-2004 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
>Veni:
>I don't consider this recent input of yours to be
>constructive.

It's been provocative, not destructive. And I am glad there are
although not in the right direction. Didn't you notice how suddenly the

mailing list changed in the last few weeks?

>The NCUC process was definitely not a "mess,"
>it was quite orderly. And yet you attacked that too --
>on the very weak grounds that despite having every
>world region represented and people from Uruguay,
>Cameroun, Togo, Brazil and Korea it was somehow
>"Northern dominated."

It is. And don't mention South Korea. Although it has "south" in its
name,
it's not representing the developing countries. I was wondering about
Brazil, too, as it is quite developed - at least to the standards that
we
live in. So, fact is here 4:7 in favour of the developed countries. Or
may
be even 3:8.

>Shouldn't you acknowledge that your status as an ICANN
>Board member might affect your judgement here, just a bit?

No, I shouldn't. What is affecting my judgement is that I am coming
from
the South, from a developing country. From a country which is recently

rated 28 out of 28 members and candidates to join the EU in terms of
development of IT. And I want to change that, not only for my country
but
for all developing countries that want this changed. Including by
larger
participation of people from developing countries in the processes.
That's
what affects my judgement. I'm an ICANN director for a set term of 3
years,
but I hope to be a citizen for much more. Therefore I have the courage
speak here loudly, and - as you well know - I'm not representing
ICANN.

Best,
Veni