[WSIS CS-Plenary] nomination procedure for IG working group/ next steps

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Tue Sep 28 00:32:12 BST 2004

Hi, everybody,

there seems to be some confusion regarding the deadline for nominating
candidates for the slate to be proposed to the working group secretariat.

According to the guidelines Adam Peake sent around early September the
deadline was September 20. The deadline was never extended. However
several caucuses sent their nominations a few days later, and some
nominations are still on the way. In fact, the Internet Governance
caucus hasn't been able yet to confirm its own candidates.

I would therefore propose to extent the deadline for another 24 hours.
Nominations should thus be sent it until GMT midnight 28/29 September.
This is the ultimate deadline!
The address is still the same: igov at tla.crepundia.net

We plan to publish all proposed names tomorrow (within the next hours
that is) on the the IG caucus's website: http://www.net-gov.org/

Please check whether your candidates are listed. Not all people used the
address we suggested. Some nominations might thus have got lost.

Regarding the further procedure:

The IG caucus is still in the process of discussing the further
selection procedure. What has been more or less agreed upon so far is
the following:

The IG caucus assumes responsibility for generating a final list of
10-20 candidates.

The IG caucus invites all people who would like to participate in
discussing the next steps to join the IG caucus mailing list. (The above
mentioned website tells you how to subscribe.)

We plan to send to the IG working group's secretariat the list of
proposed candidates plus the URL of the website that shows all
originally nominated names together with their caucus affiliation. We
also intend to inform the secretariat about the selection criteria we used.

Caucuses who are not satisfied with our selection may consider to send
to Markus Kummer their own suggestions.

We are running out of time, which is why the next steps will presumably
be decided upon very quickly.

We will send another mail to the plenary and the IG caucus list as soon
as the website with the list of proposed names is published.

best regards, jeanette