FW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Civil Society and the Multi-Stakeholderism

richard jordan richardjordan at lycos.com
Sat Apr 2 16:36:31 BST 2005

Hi, Elizabeth, Claudia, and everyone -- Richard Jordan here, still the Northern Co-Chair of the CSD/NGO Steering Committee (CSD being the UN Commission on Sustainable Development).

I think it was perhaps during the first Prep Com or after the first Prep Com for the Geneva phase of the Summit that I may have sent an email that outlined the process of the Steering Committee, which came about during the process that formed the CSD itself in the UN system.

That process has, along the way, suffered from a great deal of contention between elements within the Steering Committee and also from the outside. I will not go into that matter today.

Suffice it to say that ALL of the NGO caucuses in the Steering Committee were established with both gender balance at the leadership, one male and one femal Co-Chair, and geographic balance, one of the two Co-Chairs had to be from the North and the other one from the South.

It would seem that in examining the concept of the multi-stakeholder process you all are assuming that the history of the WSSD multi-stakeholder process ONLY goes back to maybe 2001 or 2000.

Minu's work, and I have known Minu for quite some time, is quite valid and a good contribution to the process.

The North and the South Caucuses of the Steering Committee may be discussing some ideas that will again bring the Steering Committee into the forefront of the sustainable development agenda.

The process that the CSD Secretariat has instituted after the CSD revised its multi-year framework after CSD 10 has been to divide the leadership roles among three networks of NGOs, of which the Steering Committee is NOT one.

I think that it is important to realize that in the CSD structure currently, where there is a review year on sectoral issues, such as freshwater, sanitation and human settlements, followed by a year in which a set of policy decisions on the topic(s) -- there are clusters -- are negotiated by governments, that the Steering Committee broke new ground in: gender balance, geographic balance, and invitations for new groups -- the approximately 40 "caucuses", which I outlined in a previous email as being continuing mechanisms that exist not just during CSD but during the year as well -- to operate.

So I think that in terms of multi-stakeholder dialogues, there are discussions right now going on within the UN system, at least among NGOs, as to new modalities of working within the UN system.

So please realize that multi-stakeholder approaches pre-date WSIS by quite some time.

Many thanks, Richard Jordan - Northern Co-Chair of the CSD/NGO Steering Committee