[WSIS CS-Plenary] [WSIS THETHA] What does democracy really mean today?

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Wed Apr 6 13:39:27 BST 2005

Dear friends
I know there is a diplomatic language to describe what happened in Zimbabwe. But I wonder if CS has to enter into these considerations. So, please, let's call a cat  a cat ! And a "neither free nor fair election" a bad election and an attempts against basic civil rights !
Moreover, what is the credibility of "mutual gouvernance assessment" enshrined in NEPAD ? No doubt it is at the same level as are its promises in the domains of infrastructure and ICT, namely "unpredictable". At the best.
Best regards
Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT France

> Message du 06/04/05 14:23
> De : "CIVICUS"
> A : "wsis"
> Copie à :
> Objet : [WSIS CS-Plenary] [WSIS THETHA] What does democracy really mean today?

FROM THE DESK OF THE SECRETARY-GENERAL

> What does democracy really mean today?
> By Kumi Naidoo, CIVICUS Secretary General and Chief Executive Officer

In the aftermath of the controversial Zimbabwean elections held on 31 March 2005, questions abound about what constitutes a free and fair election. The South African government delegation said the election was free but not necessarily fair. The Southern African Development Community (SADC) took a similar view with media and other
observers saying the election was neither free nor fair.

> The African Union has reserved judgment pending further investigation into allegations raised by the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) of problems with voters’ rolls and more wide-scale vote rigging. It is worth reflecting not only on what constitutes a free and fair election but on what constitutes democracy more broadly.
>
> Read the full message at www.civicus.org/new/content/deskofthesecretarygeneral11.htm

Best regards,