[WSIS CS-Plenary] ITID's The World Summit in Reflection

Jonathan Cave j.a.k.cave at warwick.ac.uk
Wed Apr 6 19:10:04 BST 2005

That's exactly correct.

Koven's comments do not fit the realities of (academic) research. He
accuses Francis of believing that "nobody should be allowed to make a
living from his/her work." This is disingenuous. Those of us at academic
institutions are not (directly) compensated for the transfer of copyright.
It is the publisher who makes the profit (really a rent for a
legally-induced and otherwise wholly artificial scarcity), not the author.
Moreover, the profit is mostly generated from the budgets of research
libraries, which do not make money from direct exploitation of the work on
their shelves.

In some cases, the selling-back is even more direct: library budgets are
limited (though this journal is bundled with EBSCO Business Source Premier)
so some scholars have to fund necessary subscriptions through personal or
grant monies. Some journals (though not this one) charge hefty submission
fees.

But the argument that scientific output should be free to readers does not
mean that no payment is needed or collectable.
    * Since the immediate benefits of publishing a particular article in a
peer-reviewed journal accrue to the author(s) (in the form of promotion,
increased odds of proposal funding and other reputation rents) and the host
institution (in countries where research output is evaluated and used to
allocate institutional funding), it is reasonable that they should pay. The
readers benefit collectively, eventually and as a 'public good.'
    * Even if readers are made to pay, efficiency suggests that they should
pay in proportion to their marginal benefit. This cannot easily be
determined and appropriate payment cannot be enforced. It is certainly hard
to see why journal publishers (many commercial entities) should be funded
through research libraries - at best this is a relic of the age of paper
journals that were difficult to produce, distribute, archive and copy.
    * Even if journals charge for subscriptions, there is a strong case for
open archiving of the material once published. The arguments for open
archiving - as distinct from open access - are well-known (including but
not limited to the obvious point that as taxpayers we have already paid for
the research once); it is worth observing that even some commercial
publishers accept and even welcome 'eprint archiving'
    * The point is that (even University-hosted) journals will survive on
the basis of the 'quality imprimatur' and added-value they provide. Those
that don't provide these things will die - and rightly so!
Competition should be used to promote efficient and equitable activity, not
the opposite.

Cheers,

J.