[WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: [SWISS CS-Plenary] ITU and open access recommendations of WSIS

Atanu Garai atanu.garai at oneworld.net
Fri Apr 8 06:18:45 BST 2005

Few observations:
At a general level, UN organisations should actively promote the access of
its content, especially for the developing and least developed nations by
appropriate financial and access mechanisms. This policy can be translated
in a variety of ways, including making pdfs freely available online,
adhering to preferred pricing mechanism (ICIMOD follows this route) for its
print publication, making low cost reprints in target countries (UNRISD is
bringing out cheaper co-published paperbacks in India), providing free pdfs
to signed-up institutions, to name a few.

by and large the issues related to open content should deal with - policies
of UN agencies on open content and its uniformity across the UN system,
national government policies, methodologies (access mechanism and financing)
and institutional capacity building.

--
atanu