[WSIS CS-Plenary] ICANN/ITU "legitimacy"

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Apr 11 13:38:53 BST 2005

Il giorno dom, 10-04-2005 alle 14:02 -0400, Milton Mueller ha scritto:
> In our (IGP) discussions of "legitimacy" we are trying to find a way to
> maintain ICANN's open, civil society based governance model

Ehm... Yes, ICANN is definitely more open than any UN agency, and yes,
ICANN gives civil society much more space than any UN agency. At the
same time, if I had to pick only one stakeholder on which ICANN is
currently based, I think that the only possible definition would be
"American businesses based governance model".

(Where, just to be clear, it's not "American" what disturbs me most,
it's "businesses"; and of course you were criticizing ICANN, so I'm
certainly not saying that you're trying to make ICANN look better than
it is... perhaps it's just that we all have been listening to some ICANN
buzzwords too much?)