[WSIS CS-Plenary] About the Internet governance caucus

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 12 15:49:59 BST 2005

Hi MJ,

These questions about levels "openness" of caucuses and working groups
is exactly the kind of questions we are wrestling with in the Working
Group on Working Methods.  For those who wish to discuss these issues
further, that would be a good place to channel this discussion:

Cheers,

Rik Panganiban
CONGO

On Apr 12, 2005, at 9:01 AM, MJ Ray wrote:

> Ralf wrote:
>> And with the caucus coordinators mentioned, including their email
>> addresses. It is no problem to just drop them a mail and ask how to
>> best
>> get involved. This is true for every caucus.
>
> Actually, the page does not say "coordinators" anywhere, but
> variously refers to "focal points" "contact points" and "list
> owners". That is probably just a minor language/jargon problem,
> but I assumed they were list owners in the sense of RFC 2369
> section 3.5 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2369.txt
>
> Therefore, why would I contact them? I follow a link on the
> wsis-cs site labelled "how to get involved" and there's no
> suggestion that it's correct to email the names rather than
> "click here for info". It is far easier to read than write,
> especially if we need to use a second language, but even in my
> first language. Having read "how to get involved" and still not
> being sure, I think some will decide that they are not able to
> read or understand the jargon well enough to participate.
>
> I am glad that you are improving the pages and I understand
> that we are mostly volunteers. I hope that you will improve
> accessibility of www.wsis-cs.org as an early task, especially
> text colours and sizes. It cannot be fully open without it.
>
> It would be good if there was some statement of what basic
> information a group should publish in order to call itself
> "open". Based on my previous message, I suggest that an
> "open caucus" should:
> 1. fill every column on http://www.wsis-cs.org/caucuses.html ;
> 2. offer a "how we are working" new user intro on its web page; and
> 3. publish a (very short?) activity summary to their mailing list
> or web page periodically (with period stated on their web page).
>
> Ideally, summaries should appear here when something noteworthy
> happens. Some caucuses will not ever be "open" but that may be
> alright for their purpose.
>
> --
> Best wishes,
>
> MJR/slef
> http://www.affs.org.uk/~mjr/

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations
(CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524