[WSIS CS-Plenary] Collaboration software debate

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Apr 12 22:05:31 BST 2005

WJM wrote:
> I was aware of the criticism from various places of Dr. Cogburn's offer,
> which I think was unfortunate; however, now that you admit it, I
> think this action was unconscionable and demonstrates a fundamental lack
> of understanding of the priorities around activism AND of software
> development issues.

I am disappointed by WJM's and MM's failures to understand
the concerns of many activists, including large collectives
like many in indymedia. I feel that it is sadly typical of many
views of many academics in North America and Europe, where they
are willing to support a general aim (point 0), but not the
consequences (point 1) because another aim is more important
to them (point 2) and they'll sacrifice this one first. Then,
WJM considers mostly money concerns (tail of point 1, point 3
and point 4), while suggesting that only those who agree are
serious (point 4).

I may be wrong on this case, but a major concern is the number
of people who control our computation devices. That is a problem
which is often driven by the "decommoditising" effect of private
protocols and requiring everyone to use the same supplier if
they wish to participate. I do not know the specifics of this
case and no-one has given references in the recent emails.

It does look like MM wishes to either exclude from discussions,
or force people to give access to computers. It is different
from the MS/Adobe-using official web sites because it is easier
to prevent them from gaining control of our computers when
they can only get in over HTTP.  It is still a problem when
the sites are inaccessible without allowing program execution
and that's been discussed here in the past, I think.

Of course, you would expect me to sympathise with the objection,
but I think it's significant that one view can lay out reasons,
while the counter-argument is roughly "you are unrealistic".

One can dress it up in terms of avoiding obstructionism, but it
seems to be another name for ignoring other views. As long as
people are trying to force each other, progress will be slowed.

--
MJR/slef
http://www.affs.org.uk/~mjr/